Just a small sample of things that I don’t understand:
- Why ‘small-government’ conservative Republicans are so eager to be elected to public office, which then makes them part of the problem instead of part of the solution.
- How anyone can say the US has “the best healthcare system in the world” when Americans are so unhealthy and so many don’t have health insurance.
- Why the US media seems to believe that all of the world’s news is meant to be filtered through what American leaders think about it. (Who cares, really?)
- Why the answer to differences always seems to be war, war, and then more war.
- How anyone can even think about handing over social security to the private sector—are they just in denial that they too will be old someday, unless they happen to die young?
- Why most people, even really sick ones, don’t seem to be able to face the reality that they are going to die.
- How we somehow missed what was about to happen to the housing market when George Bush first started talking about “the ownership society”.
- Why people seem to need to have enemies.
- Why a nation of mostly immigrants expresses so much hostility and fear of immigration.
- Why people in the US can’t see that we’re on a sinking ship and can so easily ignore the historical reality that all empires eventually fail.